Porsche brand ambassador Jörg Bergmeister tested the Track Precision App at Bilster Berg circuit and reported: “Data analysis is an fundamental part of motorsport and can be a decisive factor in winning or losing. Using the Porsche Track Precision App, sports car drivers can improve their performance when driving on the circuit, while also documenting and plotting their success.”
The Porsche Track Precision App records, analyses and displays individual driving data on the track. The goal is to allow drivers to develop their personal driving styles. To this end, detailed real-time data on speed, longitudinal and lateral acceleration, braking force and engine revs is evaluated while driving. The Porsche Track Precision App is connected to various control units in the car via the PCM and the data from the vehicle’s sensors is recorded by the app and analysed in comparison with a reference lap or personal best.
All app functions at a glance
The Porsche Track Precision App offers a unique range of functions both when driving and also for later analysis:
- Automatic lap time recording using GPS data: the user must first select or create a track for this.
- Live displays: when driving on a circuit, the lap timer (current time and speed deviation in relation to the reference lap including prediction for the current lap time) and the “Drive at your limits” views are available. The latter visualises performance based on acceleration and other vehicle data.
- Video analysis: videos from smartphones or action cams can be recorded when driving and combined with driving data afterwards.
- Driving performance analysis: the connection to the car’s sensors means that a wide range of information such as steering angle, brake pressure and accelerator pedal position is available. This information can be compared with the data from previous laps and makes it possible to quickly see where the driver can improve. Videos and driving data can be exported for detailed analysis.
- Data can be transferred quickly and easily using AirDrop® to allow detailed analysis on an iPad® later.
- The Apple Watch® app allows recording to be started and stopped and can also record the driver’s pulse. The watch alerts the driver by vibrating if they achieve a new personal best time.
- Driving experiences can be shared via social media.